[PLUG] Multi-OS Admin Question

Josh Orchard josh at emediatedesigns.com
Thu Apr 14 00:17:26 UTC 2005

> On Wed, 13 Apr 2005, Richard C. Steffens wrote:
>

>> Have you checked Network Neighborhood's properties?
>>

> Dick,
>

> This was the first place I looked. It's all set up properly there.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Rich

Rich,

I'm guessing that you are using Samba to share out the files?  If that
is correct could you have changed Samba along the way?  Could you have
upgraded it and a default setting is now different?  It sounds like
maybe the problem is not win98 as you have not touched that in a long
time but on the share side of things.

You can test the connection by using nslookup, ping, ftp, telnet.
They should all be on 98 somewhere.  You could also go download some
freeware ftp client like wsftp if you do not have one and try to ftp
to a server you know works somewhere.

Just more thoughts to help you out.  I've had a handful of windows to
samba server issues and almost all were because my samba server was
not configured correctly for the clients I wanted to use.

Josh