[PLUG] Setting up a certification list...

plug_0 at robinson-west.com plug_0 at robinson-west.com
Thu Apr 14 15:01:10 UTC 2005

Does freegeek or any of the other local Linux businesses
have a certification discussion list?

A lot of people have talked about freegeek lately.

I went to http://www.freegeek.com/, but that could have been
a different site for all I know.

I think the site was http://www.trainingcamp.com/,
it's interesting but not too practical considering
it offers nothing in Oregon.

I'd appreciate a plug list specifically for certification
training, perhaps a news group would be even better.  Just
out of curiosity, how many people have gotten their Linux
training in Oregon?  Of those, how many of you used training
materials and classes of some form or another verses
a completely self-taught approach?

Some of the links through freegeek.com discouraged me right
off the bat for the lack of information they offered to a
person shopping around.  I don't care for sites that say
they're great, but don't offer you anything to evaluate
them by beyond fancy logos.  I wish some of these sites
would either give references or sample materials from
their courses.

I've noticed a healthy thread on scripting recently.  Clearly,
some folks here know tricks that I don't ;-)  Is this book
learned or is there an effective way to get a lot of this
off of the Internet, etc.?

The CompTIA Linux+ test didn't look too expensive on one site,
but I couldn't tell if that site was selling software to administer
the test or access to a testing center.  From the standpoint of
learning about certification, I figure if the test can be bought
that it may be useful to look at it in order to find out what I
need to know.  Thing is, I worry with this approach how fast
things are changing.

Honestly, I wish the offerings through PCC were more serious than
the two Linux courses and a Perl course I've taken through there.
It seems you can get enough to go through Miscosoft certification
at PCC.  Sadly, I don't see enough offered to study for a Linux
certification class wise.  Is Ed Sawicki offerering any Oregon
based training options now?  The Perl class was pathetically
short at just three weeks long.  One of the things I want
training in is apache's configuration syntax and module
architecture.  I also want to learn more about Postfix and
system auditing techniques.  I want to be able to read and
write init and rc scripts.  I also want to be able to write
daemons instead of scheduling certain scripts over intervals
via cron.

     --  Michael C. Robinson