[PLUG] Setting up a certification list...

Rich Burroughs rich at paranoid.org
Thu Apr 14 17:11:38 UTC 2005

On Thu, April 14, 2005 8:01 am, plug_0 at robinson-west.com said:
> Does freegeek or any of the other local Linux businesses
> have a certification discussion list?
>
> A lot of people have talked about freegeek lately.

They do have a list, but it's specifically for people who are studying to
take the LPI tests through them. It's not a general list for discussing
certifications other than LPI.

http://www.freegeek.org

> Some of the links through freegeek.com discouraged me right
> off the bat for the lack of information they offered to a
> person shopping around.  I don't care for sites that say
> they're great, but don't offer you anything to evaluate
> them by beyond fancy logos.  I wish some of these sites
> would either give references or sample materials from
> their courses.

Well, again, that's the wrong site. However, I don't think there is a lot
of detailed info on the right one about the LPI certification. This isn't
really a service they are selling. They are a non-profit, and they are
offering the tests at a discount as a service to the community. There is
not a training course associated with the testing at this point, AFAIK,
although I think I remember them saying they are considering offering some
in the future.

There have been several posts about their LPI testing on this list in the
past, you might search the archive.