[PLUG] Are Web Site Questions Appropriate Here?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Apr 18 16:08:21 UTC 2005

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005, Paul Heinlein wrote:

> A deafening silence will be your only clue. :-) Ask away...

Paul,

   I suspected this to be the answer, but I wanted to check first anyway.

   Here's the scenario: my web site is now built using css and xhtml. I plan
on updating individual pages more frequently than in the past, and adding
pages as appropriate.

   Each page has three static components: the header, footer and menu. (Well,
the menu could change, too, but that would need to be reflected in all pages,
anyway.) Each of these sections is in a separate css division (masthead,
footer, and navlist).

   I would like to extract each division into a separate .html file, change
the extensions of the content files to .shtml, and use <!--#include
virtual="/xxxx.html" --> to include each of the three constant components.

   This is what I did with my former, very crude html-4 and tables site. Does
it work the same way with css?

   I know that apache at my ISP provides server side includes for doing this,
but I don't know if the same file structure I used before works with
divisions in a css file.

Thanks,

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)