[PLUG] Wireless, Already

Jason Van Cleve jason at vancleve.com
Tue Apr 19 02:08:51 UTC 2005

Hi,

I'm in some rough waters here, try to get a Dell 1350 Mini-PCI WIFI card
(Broadcom chips) working in my Gentoo/Dell Inspiron 5100.  I'm using
ndiswrapper to run the WindoseXP driver, and that seems to be working.
The card works in Windows, BTW, and I can see two strong APs in that
interface.

In linux, I can load the driver module, see the device, no errors in the
syslog, and I can bring up the device with ifconfig.  I've also
installed wireless-tools, which is evidently required for any sort of
success at all.  So I can configure the WIFI card, fiddle with it as
needed, and everything looks good, except that I can't see those two
APs.  My output is as follows:

My lord? iwlist scan
lo        Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth0      Interface doesn't support scanning.

wlan0     No scan results

So I'm not seeing any APs under linux, even though we have one running
right here in the office.  I'm missing something here, but it seems
linux WIFI is still quite bleeding-edge, and documentation is scattered
and often outdated.

So, can anyone suggest my next step?  TIA!

--Jason

--
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous!