[PLUG] UPDATE: Wireless, Already

Jason Van Cleve jason at vancleve.com
Tue Apr 19 06:25:02 UTC 2005

Quoth Dave Clemans, on Mon, 18 Apr 2005 22:11:29 -0700:

> One possibility... I don't remember the exact term, but many of the
> wireless access points I've seen have a security feature that makes
> them invisible to a name scan.  You have to "know" that the access
> point is there.

It did show up in the scan interface in XP, however, at work.  One thing
I had to do to connect was specify the MAC address somewhere in the
bowels of the Network Connections interface.  But I didn't see any
access points in linux.

I'm told Windoesn't know how to get the MAC address from the device, but
that seems odd.  Would linux know that, using the same driver, or is
there a way to specify the local MAC address?

--Jason

--
Drive-by troubleshooting!