[PLUG] FYI: ISO's, padding, and bad install discs

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Tue Apr 19 12:49:05 UTC 2005

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005, Galen Seitz wrote:

> At the clinic I was trying to install CentOS from some CD's I had
> burned.  Oddly, all four disc's failed the media check.  Tonight I did
> some searching and discovered that this is a hardware problem present in
> many common cd burners.  Apparently they don't handle the end of data
> properly.  Despite the media check fail, the discs are actually good.
> At the clinic I was able to do an install after skipping the media
> check.  It should be noted that this problem can affect Fedora users as
> well.

Thanks Galen.  I had run into a similar situation when I burned an iso
image at work ( much more bandwidth ) then created an iso from the CD (
cheap trick I picked up somewhere: 'cat /dev/cdrom > cdrom.iso' ). The two
were different sizes but worked fine.

> A workaround for the hardware issue is to use the -pad switch to cdrecord
> when burning the discs.

One switch I haven't try yet.  I'll give it the a try today.

Rod