[PLUG] Contact Management Software

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Apr 22 15:36:21 UTC 2005

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005, Jack wrote:

> There isn't anything out there that is exactly what you want. I'm thinking
> of something similar to Goldmine or Act!. The closest you can find is
> something like: Webgui, SugarCRM, Anteil, etc.

Jack,

   Yes, Act! or Goldmine are models. Before I left the DOS world I wrote my
own contact management system in Paradox. Used it every day and it was
perfect ... because I kept tuning and adjusting until it did everything I
wanted and needed. Somehow, I never got around to translating that to
postgres. Probably because there wasn't an easy-to-learn-and-use report
writer, and the reports are the heart of the system.

   I just downloaded SugarCRM. I chuckle at the inclusion of "My Bugs to Fix"
'cause that's not applicable to those of us not in the software/hardware
business, but it looks like it will do what I need. I'm not fond of BUIs, but
I'm getting used to them. Much prefer to keep my hands on the keyboard and
ignore the trackball.

> Here are a few places you can find more info...
>
> http://www.cmsmatrix.org/
> http://www.cmsinfo.org
> http://www.opensourcecms.com

   Thank you. I'll go look there, too.