[PLUG] Contact Management Software

AthlonRob athlonrob at axpr.net
Mon Apr 25 04:10:14 UTC 2005

Rich Shepard wrote:
>   I've really missed it the past few years. So I'm doing something about
> it. There's a web-based app that's hardwired for mysql that I'm converting to
> postgres and probably into a stand-alone application. It is F/OSS so
> I'll be happy to release the finished product under the GPL. The original author
> had some major boo-boos in his sql table design; for example, creating a
> primary key field with a default of ' '. There are no screen shots, demos, or
> detailed coverage of what it does and how it does it. Gotta' infer that
> from the tables and code.

Just out of curiosity... for something such as this, why take the time
to port it from MySQL to Postres?

If you need a full-fledged database, MySQL vs PostreSQL is like Linux vs
FreeBSD.  I would hazard to guess you could probably do fine with
something like SQLite or maybe even just BDB in this case, and will
probably gain next to nothing by porting it over to Postres except fewer
people will be able to use it out-of-the-box.

>   Anyway, I've converted the tables now and will look at using BOND or
> something similar to create the UI. The middleware will need to be
> translated from php to python or C. My intention is to make it business-type agnostic.
> Doesn't matter if you are selling your services as a consultant, cabinet
> hardware to builders, machine tools, insurance, or real estate. Many of the
> CRM tools I've seen are software-development-centric.

My vote is for Python... more cross-platform capable and much easier to
get off the ground quickly.  However, web applications *do* have their
advantages, especially for things such as this.

>   If anyone would like to help, please contact me off the list. I think
> this can be knocked out in a couple of weeks.

While my free time is horribly lacking at the moment with a decently
sized database project that keeps growing larger, trying to help edit
the Revised Slackware Essentials book before print, trying to get
SlackSec a viable option for Slackware users, working on some Boinc
stuff, and of course going to school... ACT! like software has
interested me since I had a customer who used it so much.  If you set up
some sort of a developer mailing list, I'd like to subscribe to watch,
if you don't mind.  :-)

Rob