[PLUG] Flatbed scanner that works with xsane

Mark lemming at quirkyqatz.com
Mon Apr 25 23:26:27 UTC 2005

Richard C. Steffens wrote:
> On Monday 25 April 2005 3:40 pm, Rich Shepard wrote:
>

>>   I'm interested in buying a small scanner that will work with xsane (and
>>a USB interface will work here) for digitizing photographs. Most are 5"x7"
>>or smaller; some may be 8"x10".
>>
>>   What have folks used that they know work well with the 2.4.x kernel?
>

> You might want to have a look on Craig's list for a used one. A couple of
> years ago, we thought we'd upgrade to a USB scanner when the SCSI card for
> our old one quit. We were not pleased with the quality of the newer scanner,
> even though it was supposed to scan at a higher resolution than our old one.
> (Sorry, I don't remember the model or make.)
>
> I don't know about the 2.4 kernel, but I know that my old Epson Perfection 600
> (a uMax something or other underneath the cover), with a SCSI interface,
> works with xsane. Since it is many years old, I'd be very surprised if it
> didn't work with the 2.4 kernel.

I have the Epson Perfection 1660 flatbed with USB.  Running it currently
with the 2.6 kernel, but I thing I ran it previously under the 2.4.

Just checked the sane page at noted that the epson backend isn't
distributed directly due to lack of open source, but there is a driver
and external program.  Not sure what's up with that since I used the
scanner last week.  The iscan program does support 2.4 kernels after
2.4.8 if you're using USB.

In anycase the webpage at
http://www.sane-project.org/lists/sane-backends-external.html is very
helpful.  It's one the ways I checked to see what scanners were compatible.

-Mark