[PLUG] Flatbed scanner that works with xsane

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Apr 25 23:38:35 UTC 2005

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005, Richard C. Steffens wrote:

> You might want to have a look on Craig's list for a used one. A couple of
> years ago, we thought we'd upgrade to a USB scanner when the SCSI card for
> our old one quit. We were not pleased with the quality of the newer
> scanner, even though it was supposed to scan at a higher resolution than
> our old one. (Sorry, I don't remember the model or make.)

   OK. Thanks.

> I don't know about the 2.4 kernel, but I know that my old Epson Perfection
> 600 (a uMax something or other underneath the cover), with a SCSI
> interface, works with xsane. Since it is many years old, I'd be very
> surprised if it didn't work with the 2.4 kernel.

   I had a Umax that was reported to work with linux, but I could not get a
scsi card for it that worked. It sat here unusable for several years until I
gave it away.

   If I could put one on the scsi-u2w card I have for the tape drive and
cd-rw, that would be OK.

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)