[PLUG] Linux Marketing Opportunity

Ron Braithwaite ron at braithwaites.net
Tue Apr 26 16:26:50 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 26 April 2005 06:28 am, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> AthlonRob wrote:
> >Mark Allyn wrote:
> >>I hope that you all have heard that Microsoft has reneged support to the
> >>gay and lesbian community by withdrawing support for gay rights
> >>legislation in Washington State.
> >
> >1)  Why isn't this on PLUG-Talk?
>
> Because it's a troll?
>
> >2)  Why is it a *software* company's job to support or not support
> >legislation like this?
>
> I haven't heard anything about such legislation or Microsoft taking a
> position one way or another on it.

This really does belong on PLUG-Talk, but since neither of you are probably on
that (and neither am I), I'll just state the facts.

Fact: Despite whatever other issues M$ may have, they have supported domestic
partners, regardless of orientation, for many years.

Fact: A bill before the Washington State Legislature prohibiting
discrimination against people because of their sexual orientation was
defeated last week by one vote.

Fact: In the past, M$ has strongly supported and lobbied for such a bill.

Fact: Several senior M$ managers (one of which had acted as an official
spokesman for M$ in the past) came out publicly (so to speak) strongly in
favor of the bill.

Fact: According to Steve Balmer, in an interview in yesterday's Oregonian, Ken
Hutchinson, pastor of Antioch Bible Church, contacted him and said that his
church, Focus On The Family, and other Evangelical organizations would
organize a boycot of M$ products if M$ didn't pull all support from the bill
and fire any M$ folks that publicly supported it. Balmer said in the
interview that he decided to pull support for the bill, but that he would not
fire anyone because of their sexual orientation or political opinion.

Those are the facts. I have very strong opinions on this, but I'll leave those
out. Incidentally, I have not yet seen any calls by GLBT civil rights groups
calling for boycotts and I suspect I won't, since there are much bigger fish
to fry right now.

-Ron

--
Ron Braithwaite