[PLUG] A Good Reference For Us Amateurs

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Apr 26 20:53:41 UTC 2005

   Germane to the recent thread on performance throttling on a mail system, I
will tell you about a new book that arrived just this afternoon: "Optimizing
Linux Performance: A Hands-On Guide to Linux Performance Tools" by Phillip
G. Ezolt. It has a 2005 publication date and is put out by HP via Prentice
Hall PTR Group.

   I read the reviews before ordering, but have not looked past the ToC today.
He does have a chapter on finding problems using the performance tools (all
of which appear to be those included in the standard GNU/Linux distributions,
with a couple of extras to fetch and install.)

   For those of us who don't do this for a living, it's going to be a very
handy reference. You guys who do this all the time can ignore this message.

   List price is $49.99; I bought my copy from amazon and saved almost half
(including shipping).

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)