[PLUG] Flatbed scanner that works with xsane

Eric Wilhelm ewilhelm at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 26 23:05:58 UTC 2005

# The following was supposedly scribed by
# Rich Shepard
# on Monday 25 April 2005 03:40 pm:

>   I'm interested in buying a small scanner that will work with xsane
> (and a USB interface will work here) for digitizing photographs. Most
> are 5"x7" or smaller; some may be 8"x10".
>
>   What have folks used that they know work well with the 2.4.x
> kernel?

If you're wanting to buy a *new* scanner, then good luck.  The
manufacturers change chipsets so often that a supported scanner may not
be the same thing that's on the shelf today (in fact, the scanners on
the shelf in the same box may not even be the same.)

I've had no driver problems with my Cannon LIDE30.  That's not a good
(as in graphics quality or speed) scanner, but it is small and cheap.

Now.  Would someone please show me a manufacturer which ships
open-source Linux drivers and sane backends with their scanners?

IIRC, there was one company that had an active linux driver project, but
you could only find it via their japanese page or something (sorry,
REALLY fuzzy memory only contains "starts with P", but no guarantees on
even the P.)  All I know is that it was really hard to find the site.
Just call the sales number at every major manufacturer and hang up if
they say "what?" when you tell them that you want a scanner with Linux
support.  Don't call Visioneer.

Okay.  epson "contains P":
http://www.google.com/search?q=linux%20site%3Aepson.com

--Eric
--
"Matter will be damaged in direct proportion to its value."
                                        -- Murphy's Constant