[PLUG] Resolved: Compiling Varkon

Richard C. Steffens rsteff.l at comcast.net
Wed Apr 27 03:44:42 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 26 April 2005 6:22 pm, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Apr 2005, Richard C. Steffens wrote:
> > To make a long story short, I followed the tutorial's instructions with
> > only one exception: instead of creating /usr/local/varkon_nnn, I created
> > /usr/varkon as root,

>    The reason this is not a Good Thing(TM) is that an OS upgrade can
> overwrite everything in /usr, including your new directory for varkon. It's
> much better practice to install local software in /usr/local/ or /opt (for
> optional). Distributions will not write to these directories during an
> upgrade.

Thanks, Rich. I'll take another look at things and maybe redo the install, if
for no other reason than that I can use the practice. Eventually, I'll get it
right.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens
http://home.comcast.net/~rsteff/

Note Cards & Photographic Prints avaliable at:
http://home.comcast.net/~rcsphoto/