[PLUG] OT: T1 Line pricing?

Steven Raymond stever at woo-hoo.com
Thu Apr 28 05:44:57 UTC 2005

Paul Johnson said:
> On Wednesday April 27 2005 4:30 pm, Steven Raymond wrote:
>> Jack Morgan said:
>> > I'm looking to get a T1 line to my house. Can anyone recommend a
>> > provider?
>>
>> Try Electric Lightwave.  I have their T1 to my house and it works
>> great.
>
> So, just for the curious layman, what kind of bandwidth versus what
> kind of cost are we talking about?  How does one of those work?

A T1 provides about 1.5Mbps symmetric.  So it's slower than the typical
cable modem, perhaps faster than most DSL.  Usually available where DSL
isn't.
Normally is unrestricted, meaning no "anti-servers" policy, and a true
routed connection.  All the public IP space you can justify, plus the
option of having the in-addr delegated to one's nameserver to do your own
reverse DNS.  Multiple T1s can be bonded together for more bandwidth.
Sadly, price is not cheap.  That number I provided earlier can detail the
costs.