[PLUG] Re: OT: T1 Line pricing?

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Thu Apr 28 16:57:51 UTC 2005

Wil> I don't think a T-1 starts (for line and bandwidth) under
Wil> $400/mo, and I might be thinking of only fractional T-1.  (There
Wil> are 24 64kbps channels in a T-1 which can be divided up into any
Wil> number of ways, including only actually using a few of the
Wil> channels, using some for voice, etc.)

We had a frame-relay frac-T1 (only 128kbps "guaranteed") in the
mid-1990s that cost us (combined telco and packet-flinger)
~$700/month.  Moreover, it took over 6-months to get it installed.  Of
course, during that entire time we were continuously promised "next
week".

When DSL finally became available, we quadrupled our bandwidth for
about 1/10th the cost, though with fewer paper guarantees of service
and reliability.  Turned out to not be a significant problem.

seniorr at aracnet.com