[PLUG] Re: OT: T1 Line pricing?

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Thu Apr 28 18:53:00 UTC 2005

>>>>> "Steven" == Steven Raymond <stever at woo-hoo.com> writes:

Steven> - Considered "commercial" grade.  Meaning that
Steven> when you call with an outage, you can expect dispatch & repair
Steven> within hours.  Dunno about you, but when I had cable, it was
Steven> once down for 9 days, another time 6 days.  [...]

Like I said, I had a *6-month* outage with a "commercial grade" T1.
Admittedly, it was all in trying to get it installed, but as a
practical matter that wasn't an important distinction.

Also, if you shop around for ISPs, you can find some that will provide
(at least most of) what you are looking for.  Or at least we could.
When I initially replaced the T1 with DSL, we asked for and got 2
class Cs, reverse DNS delegation, etc.  I don't have the class Cs
anymore, but the rest is pretty much intact.

It is certainly possible to spend 10x as much and get the last 2% of
performance or reliability.  The question becomes, in a particular
application, whether the last 2% is worth the 10x.  It might be.  Or
it might not be.

seniorr at aracnet.com