[PLUG] New List Member and Laptop

William A Morita wamorita at hevanet.com
Sat Apr 30 06:03:29 UTC 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-bounces at lists.pdxlinux.org
[mailto:plug-bounces at lists.pdxlinux.org] On Behalf Of John Jordan
Sent: Friday, April 29, 2005 5:33 PM
To: plug at lists.pdxlinux.org
Subject: [PLUG] New List Member and Laptop

After some research on the net I have just ordered a Compaq R4000 laptop. It
will have:

Athlon 64 4000
1 Gb RAM
80 Gb 5400 rpm HD
Realtek 10/100/1000
Wireless, but I forget which brand (Intel, I think) Conexant faxmodem ATI
Radeon Xpress 200M

I tried out its previous version at Fry's (R3470) with Windows XP and it
could eat all the other laptops in the store for lunch. So I figure with
64-bit Linux it should kick serious butt.

My intention is to leave Windows XP on the hard disk for the time being, but
never even boot it up. I'll squeeze it down to, say, 10-15 Gb, then make
another 10-15 Gb partition for Linux, leaving the remainder for data. After
I get Linux running perfectly so I know I'll never need XP, I'll nuke it
completely and use the space to install a different distro. That way I'll
never have to activate XP, and thus it should be easy to sell the license
for a few bux to recover at least part of the Windows tax.

However, my knowledge of Linux is rather limited. Several years ago I
installed Corel Linux (when it was all the rage) on an old computer and
played around with it some. That's all I know about Linux. I realize Linux
has matured enormously since then, but I fear I am going to need help
getting it installed. I'm especially worried about the video.

So I googled around until I found PLUG. I note on the website that there are
monthly Clinic meetings. That may be just what I need.
But, considering that there are a couple other out of date things on the
website, I felt it best to ask someone if the Clinic meetings are still
being held. And if so, when the next meetings will be (May 21, June 18?).

HP says it will be built/shipped by May 20 and 5-7 days for shipping.