[PLUG] New List Member and Laptop

Elliott Mitchell ehem at m5p.com
Sat Apr 30 06:29:59 UTC 2005

>From: "John Jordan" <johnxj at comcast.net>
> However, my knowledge of Linux is rather limited. Several years
> ago I installed Corel Linux (when it was all the rage) on an old
> computer and played around with it some. That's all I know about
> Linux. I realize Linux has matured enormously since then, but I fear
> I am going to need help getting it installed. I'm especially worried
> about the video.
>
> So I googled around until I found PLUG. I note on the website that
> there are monthly Clinic meetings. That may be just what I need.
> But, considering that there are a couple other out of date things on
> the website, I felt it best to ask someone if the Clinic meetings are
> still being held. And if so, when the next meetings will be (May 21,
> June 18?).

Quite likely the place you want, normally 3rd Saturday of the month,
should be May 21st.

Laptops tend to be tricky to deal with, they often have all sorts of
bizzare hardware. Generally getting a basic installation with almost any
distribution will be easy, but tuning it to the hardware may be quite
difficult. Builtin wireless can be very tricky.