[PLUG] Messed Up Wine Configuration

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Tue Aug 2 04:01:58 UTC 2005

I'll put the question first, and then, if you're inclined to read the
boring details, they'll follow.

How do I switch the wine user back from root to rsteff?

Here's how I got into trouble:

On the machine I recently upgraded from SuSE 9.1 to Suse 9.3, I was
fiddling with wine. (I had used wine under 9.1 previously.) By mistake,
I typed:

wine --help

in a root terminal. wine happily went about changing who gets to run
wine from my rsteff user to root. It told me the following:

-----------------------
dhcppc1:~ # wine --help
wine: creating configuration directory '/root/.wine'...
Converted windows dir to new entry HKCU\Environment "windir" =
L"c:\\windows"
wine: '/root/.wine' created successfully.
Wine 20050211
-----------------------

Then, I switched to an ordinary terminal as user=rsteff and tried the
same command (unfortunately, I don't have enough lines retained in the
terminal display to get the first handful of what happened):

-----------------------
Created symlink /home/rsteff/.wine/dosdevices/com1 -> /dev/ttyS0
Created symlink /home/rsteff/.wine/dosdevices/com2 -> /dev/ttyS1
Created symlink /home/rsteff/.wine/dosdevices/com3 -> /dev/ttyS2
Created symlink /home/rsteff/.wine/dosdevices/com4 -> /dev/modem
Created symlink /home/rsteff/.wine/dosdevices/lpt1 -> /dev/lp0
Created symlink /home/rsteff/.wine/dosdevices/a: -> /media/floppy
Created symlink /home/rsteff/.wine/dosdevices/c: ->
../%HOME%/.wine/fake_windows
Created symlink /home/rsteff/.wine/dosdevices/m: -> /media/cdrom
Created symlink /home/rsteff/.wine/dosdevices/x: -> /tmp
Created symlink /home/rsteff/.wine/dosdevices/y: -> ../%HOME%
Created symlink /home/rsteff/.wine/dosdevices/z: -> /
Created symlink /home/rsteff/.wine/dosdevices/a:: -> /dev/fd0
Created symlink /home/rsteff/.wine/dosdevices/m:: -> /dev/sr0

You can now remove the [SerialPorts], [ParallelPorts], and [Drive] sections
in your configuration file, they are replaced by the above symlinks.

Converted drive type to new entry HKLM\Software\Wine\Drives "A:" = L"floppy"
Converted drive type to new entry HKLM\Software\Wine\Drives "C:" = L"hd"
Converted drive type to new entry HKLM\Software\Wine\Drives "M:" = L"cdrom"
Converted drive type to new entry HKLM\Software\Wine\Drives "X:" = L"hd"
Converted drive type to new entry HKLM\Software\Wine\Drives "Y:" =
L"network"
Converted drive type to new entry HKLM\Software\Wine\Drives "Z:" =
L"network"
Converted temp dir to new entry HKCU\Environment "TEMP" =
L"C:\\Windows\\Temp"
Converted path dir to new entry HKCU\Environment "PATH" =
L"C:\\Windows;C:\\Windows\\System;X:\\;Y:\\"
Converted profile dir to new entry HKCU\Environment "USERPROFILE" =
L"c:\\windows\\Profiles\\Administrator"
Converted windows dir to new entry HKCU\Environment "windir" =
L"C:\\Windows"
Converted system dir to new entry HKCU\Environment "winsysdir" =
L"C:\\Windows\\System"
Warning: the specified Windows directory L"C:\\Windows" is not accessible.
Warning: the specified System directory L"C:\\Windows\\System" is not
accessible.
Wine 20050211
-----------------------

Then I tried to run the version of notepad found in
/home/rsteff/.wine/fake_windows/Windows; wine complained as it loaded
it. The two warnings about directories that are not available (same as
above) repeated, followed by a request to:

-----------------------
Please use the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\Software\Fonts\LogPixels
to set the screen resolution and remove the "Resolution" entry in the
config file
-----------------------

Notepad loaded, and I was able to type in it, but when I tried to save,
it complained five times that it couldn't create the directory:

'L"C:\\windows\\profiles\\rsteff\\Desktop"'

and after a bit of fiddling, Killed itself.

I switched back to the root terminal and discovered that it was looking
for the .wine directory in /home/rsteff, and if I run notepad.exe from
there, it works and saves just fine.

So, I'm assuming there's a configuration file somewhere that defines
where "L" points, and that it's now pointing somewhere other than where
it pointed before. Any ideas where?

TIA

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens
http://home.comcast.net/~rsteff/

Note Cards & Photographic Prints available at:
http://home.comcast.net/~rcsphoto/