[PLUG] Used Hardware

AthlonRob athlonrob at axpr.net
Thu Aug 4 01:33:32 UTC 2005

Aaron Burt wrote:
> Aaron, who'd consider buying into a UML "condo" somewhere.

If by that you mean a shared box where everybody is in a UML... let me
share my experience with such a thing.  :-)

Three friends and I decided to get just that a while back... a beefy box
we'd all share via UMLs.  We got the box, set it up and stuff... and
thought about the shared root situation.  Since we're all decent
sysadmins, it wasn't a big issue, but we did lay down some ground rules
and procedures for things.

As we got setting up the box for various things (we expected the host to
run Apache, Postfix, and BIND for a few things) we started to find less
and less a need for the UMLs.  Now, probably eight months later...
*none* of us have gotten so far as to set up a UML yet.  We're all
happily sharing services with each other.

Rob