[PLUG] Blacklist in Browser?

plug_0 at robinson-west.com plug_0 at robinson-west.com
Wed Aug 3 01:50:44 UTC 2005

Quoting Aaron Burt <aaron at bavariati.org>:

> On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 08:40:43AM -0700, Charles Sliger wrote:
> > Looking for a browser that lets you maintain a blacklist.
>
> Blacklist of what?  You ain't paying me enough to read your mind, man.
>
> > I would like to be able to maintain the blacklist in much the same way
> that
> > bookmarks are maintained.
>
> If you mean a blacklist of websites, I'm sure you could use Adblocker
> in FireFox, and there may even be an extension especially for the
> purpose.  Of course, someone who's even mildly technical (e.g. nearly
> anyone younger than 18) would probably be able to find a way around it.
> See: https://addons.mozilla.org
>
> If you need a real web-filtering system, use DansGuardian, either on
> the box as a daemon or on a separate router.  (I think IPCop supports it.)

I'm against Dansguardian.  It's a neat idea, but you can't always go through
a proxy and it has blocked the wrong sites on me many times.  A lot of web
sites can't be accessed through a proxy at all and proxis are difficult to
set up.  A more sensible approach for a blacklist is to intercept dns packets
and evaluate the URL in them.  If that URL is on a blacklist, send back a
response that points to a local browser instead.  All one needs to do is
run a local dns server that supports blacklisting and perhaps dynamic
updates, then force the local users to use it.  This approach isn't a proxy
solution, it's a dns one.  Not to mention, you could restict what web sites
can be accessed to those on a trusted list.  Apparently there is a supposed
to be a way to implement something like this using netlink and xinetd.
A more elegant solution is a blacklist record much like the A record
in bind.