[PLUG] [OT] Hardware Question

AthlonRob athlonrob at axpr.net
Sat Aug 6 12:50:06 UTC 2005

Vram wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-08-05 at 22:20 -0700, alan wrote:
>>I am used to those sensors being handled by the motherboard.  (The board
>>drives the fans, not the power supply.)
>
> Where does the board get the power???? If not the Power
> sUpply..<Microsoft???>

True, but the power supply isn't smart enough to feed the motherboard
varying amounts of power depending on feedback from the motherboard.  It
doesn't control the fans plugged in to the motherboard, the motherboard
does.

Now, if Rich's CPU fan plugs in to one of those D-plugs coming out of
the power supply, the power supply could theoretically control its
speed.  However, I've never heard of such technology.  CPU fans have,
IIRC, had the ability to self-throttle themselves for a few years... and
 motherboards could throttle the fans if they wanted to, as well.

Motherboards have been refusing to power up if a spinning fan isn't
plugged in to the CPU fan plug on the motherboard for years.  I fixed an
old KT133-based board a few years back when a BIOS update required the
CPU fan be plugged in to the motherboard rather than directly in to the
power supply via an adapter.

Rob