[PLUG] Dead Linux box

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Aug 9 23:57:45 UTC 2005

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005, James H. Webb wrote:

> I need some help here.  My linux box ahs been having some problems with
> heat. My CPU fan was going bad. I switched fans today, put new conductor
> material on the CPU, placed the new fan on. Initially, I smelled something
> like a burning smell and there was no POST sounds. I redid the fan on the
> CPU and I still get no POST sounds. I've disconnected things and
> reconnected, but nothing.

Jim,

   Are you getting power to the system?

   Is there any sign of life when you press the power button?

   Last week I had a power supply fail. Today, the replacement power supply
failed. So I took that back and exchanged it for another one. Less than an
hour latter, that quit, too. After the unit sat for about 15 minutes it
powered on, but the BIOS monitor shows the temperatures as a bit high. Right
now I have both side panels off and a small floor fan blowing directly into
the case. It's stayed up for 2.5 hours now.

   In my case, I suspect that when the original power supply failed it
weakened the motherboard heat sensors/controllers. I'm having a more
experienced hardware mavin come by tomorrow morning. In the meantime, I'm
back to ENU for a replacement motherboard (an ASUS this time instead of
another MSI). I hope the chipset is supported by lm_sensor so I can build a
userland temperature/fan speed monitor and keep an eye on these.

   If your power supply is good, the CPU may have been terminally injured. Can
you get into the BIOS at all to see what the PC Health screen has to offer?

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President     |  Author of "Quantifying Environmental
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM) |  Impact Assessments Using Fuzzy Logic"