[PLUG] Dead Linux box

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Aug 10 01:36:48 UTC 2005

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005, James H. Webb wrote:

> How would I go about changing monitor settings?  I can't remember since my
> linux box hasn't given me any trouble since I build it.

Jim,

   Depending on the distribution and version of X (i.e., XFree86 or X.org),
there's an Xconfigurator (or xconfigurator) somewhere in the system. Well,
there isn't on my Slackware-10.1 boxes.

   In /etc/X11 you'll find either XF86config (or XF86config4) or xorg.conf.
Your monitor manual will have the refresh frequencies you need. If you no
longer have the manual, google for that brand and model and you'll probably
get the data you need from the web.

   Also, before swapping drives, check your distribution (RH 8, I think you
wrote) for docs on how to configure X. Just to make sure.

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President     |  Author of "Quantifying Environmental
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM) |  Impact Assessments Using Fuzzy Logic"