[PLUG] Any Experience With Asus A7N8X A+L Motherboard?

AthlonRob athlonrob at axpr.net
Wed Aug 10 02:16:08 UTC 2005

Rich Shepard wrote:
>   I've googled for this board model and find mixed reviews:
> linuxhardware.org
> likes it; others find it won't boot linux. Some complain that the nVidia
> chip
> set is difficult to set up because the drivers are proprietary.

I'm not familiar with that particular A7N8X variety, but have used a few
others in the past.  If it's one of the dual-channel-capable
varieties... I'd go for it.  They're very fast with more memory
bandwidth than the CPU knows what to do with.

As far as drivers being proprietary - if you use a recent kernel, it's
all supported out-of-the-box.  ALSA drivers support the sound via the
i8x0 drivers, networking is supported by the ForcedEth driver, and
everything else pretty much just works.  I think there is IDE controller
support specific to the nForce in the kernel these days now, as well.

I've loved all my nForce-based motherboards I've had, including the
A7N8X varieties...

Rob