[PLUG] Using lm_sensors with 2.4.x kernel

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Aug 10 14:00:30 UTC 2005

   Anyone here with experience in installing, configuring, and using
lm_sensors?

   I know that my motherboard (VIA KT333 chipset) has temperature, fan speed,
and voltage sensors because the BIOS provides this information in the "PC
Health Status" screen. However, that's not practical for monitoring a
running/working system.

   Enter i2c and lm_sensors.

   When I grep for i2c in /proc/* on my Slackware-10.1 system with the 2.4.29
kernel I learn that it's present in kcore. Therefore, I assume it's been
installed as part of the stock kernel. I found a Slackware package for
lm_sensors-2.9.1 and installed that (since i2c is supposedly already
available). Not finding any man page or docs for lm_sensors, I asked google
for help and it returned a very useful page:
                  <http://xlife.zuavra.net/columns/20020807/>
which I've read and have been trying to implement.

   According to this page, I should be able to run 'sensors-detect' to
configure them. When I try to run this command I learn this:

[root at salmo ~]# sensors-detect
No i2c device files found. Use prog/mkdev/mkdev.sh to create them.

   I cannot discern how to run mkdev/mkdev.sh so it works:

[root at salmo ~]# prog/mkdev/mkdev.sh
-su: prog/mkdev/mkdev.sh: No such file or directory

   Same results if I try just 'mkdev/mkdev.sh'.

   Trying 'sensors -s' results in this:

[root at salmo ~]# sensors -s
Can't access procfs/sysfs file
Unable to find i2c bus information;
For 2.6 kernels, make sure you have mounted sysfs and done
'modprobe i2c_sensor'!
For older kernels, make sure you have done 'modprobe i2c-proc'!
[root at salmo ~]# modprobe i2c-proc
[root at salmo ~]# sensors -s
No sensors found!

   So, I'm stuck, and I'd appreciate some thoughts from those of you who have
successfully installed this userland tool.

TIA,

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President     |  Author of "Quantifying Environmental
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM) |  Impact Assessments Using Fuzzy Logic"