[PLUG] FW: Can't bootup linux

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Aug 10 17:57:05 UTC 2005

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005, James H. Webb wrote:

> I googled and got the following information; and Where is the correct root
> partition in RH8?

Jim,

   The distribution doesn't matter. Most of the time folks put the / in
/dev/hda1; the first partition of the first hard drive.

   It doesn't help you at this stage, but I found that Red Hat's partition
labels were more of a hassle than a help to me.

   If you put in a Knoppix disk and (re)boot the system it will come up and
let you click on the image of /dev/hda. Then you can confirm that /dev/hda1
is the root partition and you can pass that to grub at boot time from your
hard drive.

   Sorry you're having such a hard time with that system.

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President     |  Author of "Quantifying Environmental
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM) |  Impact Assessments Using Fuzzy Logic"