[PLUG] ipods

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 13:17:25 UTC 2005

On 8/11/05, John Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:
> On 10 Aug 2005, at 21:35, Dirk Ouellette wrote:
>
> > Does anyone have experience with ipods and linux?
> > Thanks
>
> I have some experience. Mostly trial and error. Wait ... make that
> mostly error. No, wait ... make that just about 100% error.

You may find answers to many of your questions on ubuntuguide.org

The defaults settings for grip on my ubuntu install were almost
perfect, and amarok appears to offer an interface to iPods, although I
haven't tried doing that yet (I don't have firewire on that machine).

> The main utility you need is gtkpod. This will allow you to transfer
> your mp3s to the iPod. Unfortunately, I found it hopelessly
> unintuitive and there are no help files. Also, be sure to unmount the

I did try gtkpod once, and I echo your sentiment about it being a pain
in the a**.  I have heard rumors that iTunes runs in linux under
crossover office, or wine, but I haven't tried to verrify that.

--Rogan