[PLUG] lm_sensors on MSI boards -- NOT!

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Thu Aug 11 21:32:08 UTC 2005

On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 11:26:33AM -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:
> According to the reply I got from MSI's "tech support", they are
> unaware of any OS other than those from Microsoft.  I filled out
> their web form explaining that I run linux and want to know if they
> have i2c drivers for the sensors on their board.
>
> The reply indicates that they either did not read my message, or
> they just did not understand it. They told me to use the
> Windows-only "PC Alert" and that they use a "Winbond super IO" to
> read the sensors.

Yup.  Par for the course.  Support techs just about anywhere are
graded by how many calls or emails per hour they handle, and
escalations are often counted against them.  So they get the customer
to go away as quickly as possible without actually hanging up on
them.  You've now experienced a couple of "good" support techs.

I've never had a constructive support session via email.  The person
or script handling support emails just scans for the first technical
term in the message, and replies with whatever canned text is handy
that's vaguely related.  Getting them to actually *read* my email
despite laziness, deadlines and language barrier, generally takes more
time and effort than just calling in and being assertive.

You're gonna have'ta Google for it, and/or read the lm-sensors docs.
Motherboard model number will be helpful, as will chipset info from
lspci.