[PLUG] CD Ripping Apps WAS: ipods

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Sun Aug 14 00:33:34 UTC 2005

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005, John Jordan wrote:
> Now that you point that out, I watched the drive light while it was
> ripping and it was on continuously. While encoding it flickered on and
> off, but was off more than on. So your theory makes sense.

Uh, huh?  The cdrom light was on when you were encoding and NOT ripping?

The CDROM drive shouldn't be accessed at all when you're just encoding (no
lights).  If you're ripping, the light should be more or less constantly
engaged... even if you're encoding simultaneously.

> I'm just happy that I'm finally able to rip and encode the way I want
> to. :)

But are you?

>> A file named:
>> Big and Rich - Wild West Show.mp3
>>
>> Would be typed as:
>> Big\ and\ Rich\ -\ Wild\ West\ Show.mp3
>>
>> ...note the spaces being escaped with backslashes.
>
> Good tip! I didn't know that! I tried it and it works! It's also better
> than renaming in flaky Nautilus, because some of the "rename" buttons in
> Nautilus don't work.

Quotes use fewer keystrokes and are less likely to cause weird errors
(like when you forget to escape one of your spaces and it's read as two
arguments).  It also does wonders for readability.

Consider the following:

id3v2 -t "The Space Between Us (Turns Into Animals)" "Robyn Hitchock &
The Egyptians - The Space Between Us (Turns Into Animals).mp3"

versus

id3v2 -t The\ Space\ Between\ Us\ \(Turns\ Into Animals\) Robyn\ Hitchock\
\&\ The\ Egyptians\ -\ The\ Space\ Between\ Us\ \(Turns\ Into\
Animals\).mp3

Which is more readable?  Which is easier to read and distinguish when one
argument ends and another begins?

Did you notice there's an error in the second one and there is no escape
on the space before the word "Animals" in the title tag?  I didn't until
just now.

Ugly.

Personally, I use underscores instead of spaces anyway because I write
lots of shell scripts and don't want to have to worry about quoting my
variables all the time.  I also keep directories by artist and album
subdirectories, then store track information in the ID3 tags.  As a
result, the above file would be here (for instance):

/usr/local/mp3/ipod/Robyn_Hitchcock_And_The_Egyptians/Globe_Of_Frogs/The_Shapes_Between_Us_Turn_Into_Animals.mp3

J.
--
      Jeme A Brelin
     jeme at brelin.net