[PLUG] converting windows friends to Open Source Database questions

Timothy J. Bruce TimsNews at Earthcorp.com
Thu Aug 18 08:28:34 UTC 2005

Michael D. Harris wrote:

>Hello friends,
>
>   I am trying to get some friends I write software with to use MySql and PHP.
>The only hurdle I am having to get them over is concerning using MySql on a
>windoze box.  They want a GUI to see data in their database like they are
>used to in Access or SQL Server.  Any suggestions?
>
>   Secondly, I have a database on a Linux machine here at home.  When I try to
>move it to the windoze box we are jointly using for our current project, I
>get an error.  I am using mysqldump to create the text file to make the
>database, then I have tried using mysqlimport.exe on the windoze box.  I get
>an error that tells me a table is missing in the database.  The table it is
>looking for is named the name of the text file I am trying to use to create
>the database:
>
>mysqldump -p databasename >~/Desktop/filename.sql
>
>mysqlimport.exe databasename filename.sql
>
>= error: a table (filename) does not exist on the database.
>
>This is not verbatim, but is as close as I can remember.  Any help is
>appreciated.

If they are using Access, why not let them "link" to the MySQL database
by building an ODBC connection to the MySQL database.  They can connect
to the database using whatever permissions they've used in the past and
view it the same way they would from Access.

If they're looking for a tool like "Access" on a client PC, REKALL
(http://www.rekallrevealed.org/ or http://www.totalrekall.co.uk/) may be
a valid option...

If that isn't acceptable....can you identify the client pieces and what
you are trying to achieve?  Reporting from Windows is completely
different than data-entry/analysis from Windows against a MySQL database
(even though it shouldn't be!)

Tim