[PLUG] Unknown Document File Types

Paul Mullen pm at nellump.ath.cx
Thu Aug 25 19:39:48 UTC 2005

On Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 11:24:44AM -0700, Richard C. Steffens wrote:

> Then, I should be able to have my friend look at the files on his
> Mac and figure out that info (assuming he can understand what I'm
> asking of him). He's in Texas, so it's all being done by e-mail.

It might not be that simple. If he doesn't have the original
application installed, the Finder may just show the file as an unknown
type. If memory serves, the "classic" Finder doesn't show the raw
creator and type values. You need a special utility for that. Have him
take a look at FileTyper:

<http://dazuma.freeshell.org/filetyper/>

It's a drag-n-drop app, so it should be straightforward to use. Once
he figures out the creator and type codes, you'll need to determine
what they actually mean. Sometimes it's obvious, but often not (both
codes are only four bytes, so some creativity was occasionally
necessary to maintain uniqueness).

Paul