[PLUG] 15Mb Access

Brian Martin plug at martinconsulting.com
Wed Aug 31 18:40:33 UTC 2005

I'm now the proud user of a fiber optic line to my house providing 15Mb/sec
of Internet wonders and mysteries ... except that I can't get 15Mb out of
it.  The technician only knew Windows, so we tested the line with a Windows
box.  It initially measured out at about 5Mb, which he said is typical for
an untuned system.  We then went to speedguide.net, which through the
miracle of Active-X (as I recall) retuned my TCP stack and the box then
measured out at 15Mb.

But, of course, I don't used a Windows firewall.  When I run tests from my
Linux firewall, it tests out at 5Mb again.  My initial research lead me to
RWIN aka RecvWin apparently aka /proc/sys/net/core/rmem_default and
rmem_max.  I set these up to 513920, a number recommended by speedguide.net,
but subsequent tests showed no change.  Speedguide.net still reports RWIN is
5840.  Firefox's bandwidth tester extension confirms that I'm still at
~5Mb/sec.

My question to the collective experience and knowledge of PLUG is: what do I
need to tune on Linux to use the full capability of my line?

          -Brian