[PLUG] 15Mb Access

Steve Bonds 1s7k8uhcd001 at sneakemail.com
Wed Aug 31 22:20:24 UTC 2005

On 8/31/05, Brian Martin wrote:

> But, of course, I don't used a Windows firewall.  When I run tests from my
> Linux firewall, it tests out at 5Mb again.  My initial research lead me to
> RWIN aka RecvWin apparently aka /proc/sys/net/core/rmem_default and
> rmem_max.  I set these up to 513920, a number recommended by speedguide.net,
> but subsequent tests showed no change.  Speedguide.net still reports RWIN is
> 5840.  Firefox's bandwidth tester extension confirms that I'm still at
> ~5Mb/sec.
>
> My question to the collective experience and knowledge of PLUG is: what do I
> need to tune on Linux to use the full capability of my line?

I think you were on the right track with the TCP window size tuning,
however only tuning the receive side isn't helpful if you're the one
initiating the TCP connection.

This site offers some excellent advice on tuning the send buffers and
even describes why this is sometimes necessary:

http://web.archive.org/web/20041105011210/http://www.psc.edu/networking/projects/tcptune/

(archive.org link for the benefit of future searchers)

  -- Steve