[PLUG] nerd mode for installing Ubuntu 5.10?

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 17:55:15 UTC 2005

On 12/2/05, Jon LeVitre <jonlevitre at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Can anybody tell me whether it'll be easier to install in desktop mode
> and add apache and databases or install in server mode and add desktop
> aps (and maybe disable a few services)?

I have a similar setup, but I don't recall how I did the install.
I'll advocate doing a desktop-centric install initially, then adding
the packages you want over telling the installer you want a
server-centric install, and removing things.  Generally you're safer
adding services you want than removing those you don't need, in the
later case there are likely to be services running you aren't aware of
and don't need.

Either way, it would probably be wise to severly restrict the
connections allowed to your laptop.  Denying anything other than ssh
from hosts other than localhost may be a good place to start.
/etc/host.deny or some firewall app should do nicely.

> I'm also trying to decide if there's any reason to install both Fedora
> and Ubuntu (the disk is 18Gig).

IMHO, there is no reason :) particularly with a disk that size.

--Rogan