[PLUG] nerd mode for installing Ubuntu 5.10?

Michael Rasmussen mikeraz at patch.com
Fri Dec 2 18:16:43 UTC 2005

Jon LeVitre wrote:
> Can anybody tell me whether it'll be easier to install in desktop mode
> and add apache and databases or install in server mode and add desktop
> aps (and maybe disable a few services)?

Server mode install doesn't do X.  So I'd suggest desktop mode and then add what
you want for services.

> I'm also trying to decide if there's any reason to install both Fedora
> and Ubuntu (the disk is 18Gig).

Being able to work in both environments will help you understand the underlying
workings without getting dependent on implementation details.  The way the two
handle, for instance, network setup and initialization is quite different.

If you do go that route, plan out your disk partitioning carefully. You'll
undoubtedly what a separate and shared /home partition.

If you go app install crazy the 18G may become a restrictive amount of space. My
10G drive notebook is requiring care to avoid running out of disk space.

--
   Michael Rasmussen, Portland, Ore, USA
  Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity