[PLUG] Securing Initial Accounts in MySQL

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Dec 2 20:56:07 UTC 2005

   Page 125 of the mysql-4.1 manual (section 2.9.3: Securing Initial Accounts)
tells me to start the database interface, then use

mysql> SET PASSWORD FOR ''@'localhost' = PASSWORD('<password>');
mysql> SET PASSWORD FOR ''@'<hostname>' = PASSWORD('<password>');

which is what I did.

   Then, running the SugarCRM setup wizard I get to the last page where all
the options and configuation choices have been entered and the application is
supposed to create the database, my user account, and start running. Well, it
can't even get up on its hands and knees and crawl, never mind run.

   What I see in the dialog box is this:

Step 6: Perform Setup   SugarCRM
Creating the config file...done

Installation is proceeding... the output will appear below once it is
complete. Please wait.
Creating the database sugarcrm on localhost...done
Creating the db username and password...Creating the db username and password
for localhost...done

Unable to select database: Access denied for user ''@'localhost' to database
'sugarcrm'

   Now, simple-minded as I am, when I set the mysql password, I thought I was
setting it for a server, not a user. Yet, the sugarcrm message tells me that
there's a user called ''@'localhost'.

   Is this a mysql error on my part? In the sugarCRM setup, I defined myself
as the authorized user, and the username 'mysql' as the db admin.

   With hope that this is the last hurdle to overcome, I ask for another clue.

Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.               |   Author of "Quantifying Environmental
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)   |  Impact Assessments Using Fuzzy Logic"