[PLUG] Securing Initial Accounts in MySQL

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Dec 3 20:02:02 UTC 2005

On Sat, 3 Dec 2005, Kenneth G. Stephens wrote:

> This attitude describes many small time developers who have their hands
> full supporting the software they have----Not knowing the size of the
> company, and just guessing at the reasons for their attitude.

Ken,

   I certainly don't have the breadth of experience that you do. I suspect
that the SugarCRM company is not "small" as is Dieter Simander of SQL-Ledger
or Patrick Volkerding of Slackware. The company had a large booth at the
OSCON exhibition with several sugar cubes in branded corporate uniform. I
assume they have some VC money behind them.

> I work with great egos all the time.  Most of them are good people with
> good intentions, but often their opinions get in my way. I am sure glad I
> don't have a great ego or any opinions. 87)

   Well, a great ego is not difficult to develop; there are a bunch of
self-help books out that you can read for guidance. Or, go to a city council,
county commission, or state legislative session and observe the clash of egos
on a grand scale. If you're lazy, just look for those who put academic
degrees or the initials of other certifications after their names and you'll
find excellent examples of great egos.

   I also suspect that you're overlooking some opionions stuck in the corners
of your pockets or left over from previous jobs. The really dangerous aspect
of having opinions is expressing them in the wrong forum or in front of
people who take umbrage that you actually have opinions -- and they're
different from theirs.

   Anyway, SugarCRM got past that sticking point (thanks to Kurt), and has now
been "Populating the database tables with demo data (this may take a little
while)..." for over 10 minutes. Sigh. It's actually fighting me; perhaps it
just doesn't want to run here.

Thanks,

Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.               |   Author of "Quantifying Environmental
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)   |  Impact Assessments Using Fuzzy Logic"