[PLUG] Closing the Thread: SugarCRM

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Dec 3 21:05:48 UTC 2005

   I removed all traces of SugarCRM-3.5.1a and MySQL-4.1.14 from my system ...
er, my computer system, that is. Then I reinstalled the mysql package and ran
'mysql_install_db --user=mysql' and the root password change, followed by
/etc/rc.d/rc.mysqld start. That spawned a whole slew of mysqld processes ...
and all was Good.

   Next, I downloaded and installed the sugarcrm zip file. Ran through the
configuration again, This time I left off loading the demo tables and the
setup went through like a load of Exlax. And all was Good, again. I even read
the note that told me I needed to log in as the admin the first time. So I
did that.

   As admin, I have nothing there and I really don't want to use the
application as admin. So, I logged out and tried logging in as a mere mortal
user. Not Good. Despite the setup being told my username and password, it
won't take it. However, it will take the admin username and that password.

   This is certainly a Windows-centric application. For example, if I want to
add me as an employee, one of the fields is "IM Type". I figured out that
stands for "Instant Messaging"; the choices are MSN, Yahoo!, and AOL. Feh!

   Anyway, thank you all for your patient help and good advice. I'll play with
this and see if it's really goining to be useful despite the feature glut for
a one-person shop.

Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.               |   Author of "Quantifying Environmental
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)   |  Impact Assessments Using Fuzzy Logic"