[PLUG] Comcast troubles

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Mon Dec 5 22:50:17 UTC 2005

m0gely wrote:
> David Fetter wrote:
>
>> I always have problems with Comcast.
>
> I suppose it depends on a few things, possibly your area.  I started
> with @home, which was bought by AT&T the Comcast.  I purchased my own
> Toshiba cable modem after a good amount of research rather than renting
> and the service has been excellent.

I suspect location is the problem. I sent Comcast tech support an e-mail
from their web site. The response was fairly quick, but didn't resolve
anything. The tech did try to be helpful, though:

Comcast Portland wrote:

> I understand you are having issues with your Internet connection.  After
> reviewing your account information, and your location, I do not see any
> outages in your area affecting connectivity. Just to make sure, I ran a
> couple of tests from here to your modem, and did not get any slow or
> missing responses. Slow or missing responses would need to be present to
> indicate a connectivity issue.
>
> If you are using any additional networking hardware to connect your
> computer to the modem, remove that equipment and connect the computer
> directly to the modem and see if the connectivity issue still occurs.
> If you no longer experience connectivity issue, the problem is with the
> networking equipment, and you will need to contact the hardware manufacturer.

The connection has been stable all afternoon (so far), so I thanked him
for his efforts and said I'd give his recommendation a try if I
experienced further problems. Of course, that would make it difficult
for my wife to connect, and I'd be without such firewall as my Netgear
RT314 provides, so I wouldn't run that test for very long. Besides, now
that I think about it, there doesn't seem to be any problem with the
RT314 -- that is, I don't think it can cause the cable modem to go
through a connect sequence.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens
http://home.comcast.net/~rsteff/

Note Cards & Photographic Prints available at:
http://home.comcast.net/~rcsphoto/