[PLUG] Arrrrrrggg! Problems with php5 and freetype

jjb at botteronet.net jjb at botteronet.net
Wed Dec 7 05:49:34 UTC 2005

I'm having absolutely no luck getting php5 installed and working
with GD and FreeType on my RHEL3 machine. php4 is installed and
functioning well in every way with these. I'm convinced that it's a
FreeType issue, because both phpinfo() and gd_info() for the php5 tell me
that all that is missing is the FreeType support.

These are the FreeType packages installed:

freetype-2.1.4-4.0
freetype-utils-2.1.4-4.0
freetype-devel-2.1.4-4.0

These are the GD packages installed:

gd-1.8.4-12.3.1
gd-devel-1.8.4-12.3.1

These are the php5 ./configure options I've used:

./configure --libdir=/usr/lib --prefix=/usr --with-gettext
--enable-mbstring=all --with-zlib --with-gd --with-mysql --with-ldap
--disable-cgi --with-freetype-dir=/usr --with-png-dir=/usr
--with-jpeg-dir=/usr --enable-gd-native-ttf --enable-gd-imgstrttf
--with-ttf --with-openssl --with-png --with-apxs2filter=/usr/sbin/apxs

Alas, I'm not a Linux engineer, and in fact don't really know all that
much about it, but I can usually beat out a decent solution for my needs.
Does anyone see why with these things and this ./configure, that I can't
seem to get FreeType support going with php5?

Any idea where I should look for a problem, what problems might possibly
effect my system in this way? I'm about to give up on it...

Thanks...