[PLUG] Arrrrrrggg! Problems with php5 and freetype

Kurt Sussman plug at merlot.com
Wed Dec 7 15:56:16 UTC 2005

jjb at botteronet.net (jjb at botteronet.net) typed this ...
> Any idea where I should look for a problem, what problems might
> possibly
> effect my system in this way? I'm about to give up on it...

Find the gd.so file (assuming you built it as a plugin, use the php
apache plugin file otherwise, probably libphp5.so) and run ldd on it:

  $ ldd /usr/lib/php4/20050606/gd.so

You'll see a line that starts 'libfreetype.so.6 =>'. What it points at
will tell you whether it's finding the freetype library.

If not, that's an important clue. If it is finding the library or if it
doesn't have a reference to it, then you'll have to deal with those
(check your /etc/ld.so.conf to be sure it includes the path to the
freetype library or check the php5 fora to see how others have gotten
around the likely 'configure' bug).

Why are you using an old version of the GD library? Just curious.

--Kurt