[PLUG] Lyx hijacked "Open with"

John Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Wed Dec 7 17:24:23 UTC 2005

On 7 Dec 2005, at 7:40, Eric Wilhelm wrote:

> Bad package!  Bad!  Somewhere in Settings->Configure Konqueror->File
> Associations, there is a mess of things registered to LyX.  The
> simplest thing would be to click through there and clean them out.
> The better thing would be to figure out where in the ubuntu package
> the file associations were defined and send a patch to the maintainer.

Thanks. It didn't occur to me that it would be in Konqueror. I found
the window where I can change the settings. Took me forever to go
through it because it listed every file type in the known universe. It
seems Lyx hijacked everything having anything remotely to do with
text files. Even script files, etc. Unfortunately, when I tried to
remove Lyx most of the time Konqueror popped up a window
saying that the service could not be removed. However, I was able
to demote it and put another app on top so Lyx will now try to open
the file only if the top application(s) are not available.

Paul suggested where to look for rogue Lyx references and I'll do
that later. There may be some others in there too, because I can't
remove certain other services -- noatun, for example.

> >A related problem is how to select a file in Konqueror without
> >launching it. For some reason it is set to launch with a single
> >click.
>
> (hold ctrl to just select if you're in single-click mode)

That works.

> Hmm.  When you first start kde, it asks you about 5 questions.  One of
> these is about "style" and enables this plus about 20 other things.  I
> never had to change it though.   Took some digging to find this.
>
> Control Center -> Peripherals -> Mouse -> "General" tab  ("Icons"
> section)

Better solution, except I use only Gnome. However, there is an
equivalent "Configuration Editor" utility. Under "mouse" the "single-
click" box was checked. I unchecked it, but it didn't make any
difference. Afer unchecking the box I clicked on Apply, but it still
tries to open or launch the file with a single click. Then I logged out
and back in, but still no joy. Finally, I shut down the computer and
restarted it, but a single-click still tries to open or launch the file.
And checking in the Configuration Editor, the box is still unchecked.

Must be something else that is controlling it. Logically, it must be
Konqueror overriding the system settings. But I can't find any
settings for this in Konqueror.

Wait ... I tried something else. I went back to the configuration
panel for the mouse and right-clicked on the entry for single-click.
That brought up a context menu where I could edit the key, unseat
the key, make it the default, or make it mandatory. Choosing Edit
popped up a small window, but it was grayed out. Oh well. Didn't
know what to edit there anyway. Left Unseat alone, as I have no
idea what unseating does. I chose Mandatory and this popped up a
warning that I was changing something that the Administrator did
not give me permission to do. But it also said it might not take
effect until the application was relaunched. I tried shutting down
and restarting again, but it did not take effect. I think I have to do
this as root. But that means I have to launch the configuration
editor as root or with sudo. I don't know what the executable file for
the Configuration Editor is. There is probably also a config file
somewhere that I can edit manually from the command line, if I
knew what and where it was.

Oddly, single-click has always just selected a file when I am in
other applications, e.g., OpenOffice.org. It's only in Konqueror
where it tries to open or launch the file.

Thanks for the help so far. Until I get to the bottom of this at least I
can hold down Ctrl.