[PLUG] HELP! Broken Ubuntu! Can't login!

John Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sat Dec 10 20:10:59 UTC 2005

I was reading on Ubuntu Forums and found a thread about making
backups. Someone suggested Kdar. I installed it via Synaptic on
my Ubuntu-64 Breezy laptop. I launched it from terminal because it
did not create a launch setting under the Applications menu. The
Help files were not working, so I fumbled my way through starting a
new archive. The archive was to be named 12_10_2005 on my
external USB disk, which is formatted ext3.

It ran for about 50-60 seconds and then locked up Linux. Keyboard
and mouse dead. Had to hit the power button.

When I restarted I tried again, this time with no other applications
running. It seemed to go much better. It progressed to about 150
Mb, about 10 minutes running time, then suddenly it disappeared
from the screen. I had left the terminal window open and the last
line was that it had crashed.

I wanted to see if it had actually created part of the archive, so I
launched Konqueror. This produced an error message that KDE
could not run. (I use Gnome for desktop.) I tried a few things, but
nothing would get Konqueror to launch. At that point I decided to
shut down and restart. I did System > Shut down and it appeared
to shut down normally.

It restarted normally and gave me the usual login screen. But when
I entered my username and password it gave me an error message
that my profile "is not installed on this computer." I tried several
other options under "Session" but the only one that will log me in is
"Failsafe Terminal."

Supposedly, this is a way for me to fix wat is wrong. Unfortunately,
I have no clue as to what needs to be fixed or how to do it from a
terminal. The terminal window is running in a corner of the screen,
and it appears that X is running.

At this time my computer is essentially dead. The only thing I can
think of to do is to wipe the hard disk and reinstall from scratch.
Ugh. I do have a backup that I made with Dump a couple days ago.
The backup file is intact on the external USB drive -- at least it
should be still there, unless that Kdar POS buggered it up
somehow. It is a backup from /, so it should be the whole shebang
(9+ Gb file). I have no idea how to use it to restore the system,
however.

I'm in deep doo-doo here. :(