[PLUG] HELP! Broken Ubuntu! Can't login!

Elliott Mitchell ehem at m5p.com
Sun Dec 11 04:50:46 UTC 2005

>From: Keith Lofstrom <keithl at kl-ic.com>
> And geekian - or books, or something else that requires an investment
> of effort, is how you are going to find a solution.  Dump is not as
> hard as most things in Linux, and it has been around long enough that
> you can find instructions in 30 year old books.  I can dump my usr
> partition with something like  "dump -0f dumpfile /usr" - that is
> about as easy as it gets.  File maintenance, and restores, require
> quite a bit more effort, which is one reason why I do not like the
> apparent simplicity of dump.

Given that dump happens more often then restore, dump is the place where
simplicity is more important. OTOH, when you need restore you may will be
a frazzled, paniced admin and need things working quickly.

`cd /usr ; restore -f dumpfile` seems pretty simple to me. Older
BSD-style restore would be a large PITA, but thankfully that isn't what
we've got today (at least with Linux, FreeBSD users are SOL). I've had
to use it twice this year, and easily pulled backups (though replacement
hardware was a big deal).

What do you mean "file maintenance"?