[PLUG] nfs v. samba

fh hillsboro linux at frankhunt.com
Tue Dec 13 22:14:35 UTC 2005

I'd probably go with nfs just because smb tends to be a bit more
"chatty".  If you have any plans for Windoze systems in the future, then
go with samba because all Win systems speak it.  You might also want to
consider that one of the reasons that smb is more verbose is that it is
"stateful" and nfs is not.  You can actually play this to your advantage
sometimes - nfs will just keep trying to find what it is looking for
(depending on the mount type) because it is too dumb to know that it's
gone.  Nfs will come back when the system re-appears.  Smb knows that a
client or server is gone and applications that are not written to
re-start the network will have to be re-started.