[PLUG] nfs v. samba

Eli Stair eli.stair at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 22:18:15 UTC 2005

The 'casting' point is a valid one, though probably more involved than
just an NFS config:

##server /etc/exports:
/EXPORT/audio      10.0.0.0/255.255.255.0(ro,no_root_squash,async)

##clients /etc/fstab:
server:/EXPORT/audio       /mnt/audio    nfs
defaults,ro,tcp,nfsvers=3,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,actimeo=30 0 0

Now all you need to do is create said directories, populate the server
with data, and mount on the client (and define your IP range..).
CIFS/samba is more involved, and I wouldn't recommend it for simply
transferring files across Linux boxen.

/eli