[PLUG] CDParanoia/Lame issues/ Ping Paul Mullen

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 17:13:28 UTC 2005

On 12/13/05, John Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:
> But at the end, it created cdda.wav in the root. Huh? I never
> specified where it was to put cdda.wav before and it always put it in
> my home folder, overwriting the previous cdda.wav file. Maybe it put
> it in the root folder because this time I sudo'ed it. But then that
> takes me back to why cdparanoia insists it doesn't have
> permission to create cdda.wav in my home folder. Before sudo'ing
> it I gave it the command as jjj at devil5/$. Surely the owner of the
> home folder can issue a command to write a file to it.

I believe cdparanoia puts the cdda.wav (or watever output file) in the
current directory, so, if you are in your home dir (as you probably
were before) then it would deposit the file there, and do so with out
any permission issues.  Judging from the prompt you show above:

       jjj at devil5/$

You are *not* in your home directory, rather you are in the root "/".
You probably want your prompt to look like this:

       jjj at devil5 /home/jjj$

which signifies that you are in your home directory.  (Disclaimer:
every one's prompt is different, but I'm reasonably confident I've
interpreted yours correctly).  If you want to set up a script or
something that always puts the output file in the same place, run

      cdparanoia --help

and look for the option to specify an output file there. (I would
check for you, but I don't have a copy of cdparanoia handy).

HTH,
--Rogan